Sunday, June 13, 2010

Required Reading

Sometime in the month after I was accepted to seminary, I got a lovely list of books I needed to read before arriving. This list came in November or so, before I even got my book list for the spring semester of my senior year of college. Included in this list is:

How to Think Theologically by Howard Stone and James Duke.
Essays from The New Interpreter's Study Bible, including "as much of the Biblical text as possible."
Essays from Women in Scripture: A Dictionary of Named and Unnamed Women in the Hebrew Bible, the Apocryphal/Deuterocanonical Books, and the New Testament.
Church History: An Essential Guide by Justo González.
Essays from The Westminster Dictionary of Christian Theology.

I haven't started any of these books yet. Actually, I've misplaced all of them except the Bible. They definitely arrived here when I moved home, because I remember putting them somewhere special. I just don't remember where.

I told my pastor today that I needed to read the Bible this summer, but obviously there wasn't time. Did he have suggestions for what to read? Of course. The Pentateuch and the New Testament. That's 483 pages out of my NRSV bible. Not the study Bible, just my normal Bible.

It's not that I'm not interested in reading it. I'm excited to read about the Israelites and all of those stories I learned in Sunday School when I was little. I just really didn't realize that I should have started this way back in November when I thought I had all the time in the world to acquire and read these.

I am not complaining, I swear. Maybe I'll make Sims out of the genealogy section of the Old Testament. That could be pretty interesting...

2 comments:

  1. Hey Nicole,
    This is Jennifer Stinnett from UE. Here's something that might help you in your Biblical Reading Quest!
    http://www.biblein90days.com/index.php?option=com_challenge&pgID=5

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jennifer! I'll look into it...though I don't quite have 90 days. Maybe I'll start doing two days at a time.

    ReplyDelete